Me’raaj – The Greatest Miracle
QUR’ANIC VERSES REGARDING ME’RAAJ
(1) Verse 1 of Sura bani Israil (or Isra) : “Glory to (Allah) Who did take His servant (Allah’s Messenger) for a journey by night from the Sacred Mosque (Masjid-ul-Haram) to the Farthest Mosque (Masjid-ul-Aqsa), whose precincts we did bless, in order that we might show him some of Our Signs; for He is the One Who heareth and seeth (all things)” (17 : 1) (2) Verse 60 of the same Sura, viz… “We granted the vision which we showed thee (Allah’s Messenger) but as a trial men…” (17 : 60) (3) Verse 1 to 18 of Sura najm : “By the star when it goes down your companion (Allah’s Messenger) is neither astray nor being misled. Not does He say (aught) of (his own desire). It is no less than inspiration sent down to him. He was taught by one mighty in power. Endued with wisdom for he appeared (in stately form). While he was in the highest part of the horizon then he approached and came closer. And was at a distance of but two bow-lengths or (even) nearer. So did (Allah) convey the inspiration to His servant (conveyed) what He (meant) to convey. The (Prophet’s) (mind sand) heart I no way falsified that which he saw. Will ye then dispute with him concerning what he saw ? For indeed he saw him at a second descent (Cf. 81 : 23). Near the lote-tree (sidreat-ul-muntaha) beyond which none may pass. Near it is the garden of a abode (Jannat-ul-mawa). Behold the lote-tree was shrouded (in mystery unspeakable). His sight never swerved,not did it go wrong. For truly did he see of the signs of his Lord the greatest” (53 : 18)
The event of Me’raaj is one of the divine miracles of the Messenger of Allah (Blessing of Allah and Peace be on him) by Allah. It consists of three stages. 1. From Masjid-e-Aqsa is the world of human body of Universe of existence or evidence. 2. From Masjid-e-Aqsa to the High Heavens is the world of soul or spirit and light. 3. Above the Heaven’s is the Arsh-e-Ilaahi, Noor of Allah – away from the boundaries of Time and Place. This auspicious night is the night of 27th Rajab, Monday 621 A.D. Allah’s Messenger (Blessing of Allah and Peace be on him) was 52 years old and in the 12th year of Prophethood. It happened one and a half year before Hijrat and after Allah’s Messenger’s return from the expedition to taif.
Allah’s Messenger (Blessing of Allah and Peace be on him) was sleeping in his cousin sister Umme Hani’s house (also known as Hind – the daughter of Abu Talib). Hazrat Jibreel (A-lai-his-sa-laam) awakened Allah’s Messenger and informed him that Allah has conferred on him the unique honour of summoning him in His Own Presence. Hazrat Jibreel (A-lai-his-sa-laam) took. Allah’s Messenger to Hatim or Hajr in the Masjid-e-Haram and purified Allah’s Messenger’s heart with Zam Zam water (Cf. 94 : 1). Then he filled it with Faith (Imaan), Allah’s Light (Noor) and Divine Knowledge and wisdom (hikmat). Hazrat Jibreel (A-lai-his-sa-laam) took Allah’s Messenger on the heavenly steed Buraaq, traveling like lightening to Masjid-e-Aqsa. Here Allah’s Messenger led the congregational prayers as Imam and the previous Prophets and Apostles were muqtadis (people behind the Imam).
Allah’s Messenger (Blessing of Allah and Peace be on him) met previous Apostles and Prophets and greeted them. He met Hazrat Adam (A-lai-his-sa-laam) on the 1st heaven, Hazrat Isa (A-lai-hi-sa-laam) and Hazrat Yahya (A-lai-his-sa-laam) on the 3rd, Hazrat Idris (A-lai-his-sa-laam) on the 4th, Hazrat Haroon (A-lai-his-sa-laam) on the 5th Hazrat Moosa (A-lai-his-sa-laam) on the 6th and Hazra Ibrahim (A-lai-his-sa-laam) on th 7th heaven .
Near Sidratul Muntaha (Lota-tree), Allah’s Messenger saw the Ruhul Quddus Hazrat Jibreel (A-lai-his-sa-laam) in his physical from for the 2nd time (1st time being in the cave of Hira where Hazrat Jibreel (A-lai-his-sa-laam) bought the 1st divine revelation). Then they parted company as Hazrat Jibreel (A-lai-his-sa-laam) could not travel up as his wings would burn.
Then Allah’s Messenger rode another heavenly conveyance, Raf-Raf and reached Allah an prostrated before Allah. The messenger of Allah (Blessing of Allah and Peace be on him) found himself engulfed with the Divine splendour of Tajalli and Noor-e-Illahi. There was a distance of two bow-lengths or nearer, between Allah and the Messenger of Allah. Allah informed him about His wisdom, showed him His Secrets and Wonders and gave His Commands.
The Messenger of Allah (Blessing of Allah and Peace be on him) then returned to Masjid-e-Aqsa and then back to Umme Hani’s house. He later offered his Fajr prayers and narrated the precedings night’s events. Some believed him and some jeered at him and some cross-examined him and asked for clarifications (Abu Jahal). Hazrat Abu Bakr (Allah be pleased with him) was the first to express belief and said, “ You said the truth, O Messenger of Allah.” Thus Hazrat Abu bakr (Allah be pleased with him) received the title of Al Siddique.
IMPORTANCE OF ME’RAAJ 1. Allah had made His Prophet’s Me’raaj as a means of the people’s trial (Cf. 53 : 12, 17 : 60) and a warning to pagans (Cf. 17 : 76) that they will have no people if they expelled the Messenger of Allah. Allah had not sent punishment to the pagan’s because Allah’s Messenger (Blessing of Allah and Peace be on him) was among them (Cf. 8 : 33).
2. Me’raaj was a precursor of Allah’s Messenger’s impending exit from Makka and emigration to Madina (Cf. 17 : 80) Allah’s Messenger (Blessing of Allah and Peace be on him) would achieve spiritual success and Islam would flourish and spread all over the world.
3. Me’raaj proved the power, authority and jurisdiction of Allah’s Messenger. Allah is All Powerful, Dominant and Authoritative to establish the position of His Beloved Prophet Hazrat Muhammad (Blessing of Allah and Peace be on him) exclusively. 5. Three Divine gifts were presented to the Messenger of Allah on this illustrious night.
a. The last 2 verses of Sura Baqarah 2:285, 286 were revealed emphasizing the fundamental articles of faith, Allah’s attributes and how to seek Allah’s refuge and pardon.
b. five times daily prayers became obligatory on Muslims and Allah’s Messenger declared ‘Salaat-al Me’raaj-ul-Momin – Salaat (Namaaz) is the Mr’raaj of the believer i.e. union with Allah.
c. Allah and promised His Messenger that He will forgive every members of his Ummat after judging him and giving him reward of punishment accordingly and admit him to Paradise – provided he has not committed shirk.
4. Huququl Allah – duty to Allah.
5. Huququl Ibaad – duty to Muslims and to oneself.
6. To do good and avoid evil and live according to Islamic principles.
7. To worship and obey Allah, to trust and thank Him for everything i.e. to ask Him for forgiveness.
8. To recite Qur’aan and pray Qur’aaanic Aayats for prosperity, success and relief, etc.
9. This auspicious night of majesty and spiritual excellence is the night of Divine Mercy. We must pray to Allah in this night and day and also observe a fast on the 27th day to earn spiritual rewards on the 27th day to earn spiritual rewards and be secure against hardships and calamity.