Shab-e-Qadr (The Night of Power)
- Undoubtedly, We sent it down in the blessed and valuable night.
- And what you know, what the blessed night is?
- The blessed and valuable Night is better than a thousand months.
- Therein descend angels and Jibril (the Spirit) by the command of their Lord for every affair.
- That is all peace till the rising of the dawn.
This is one of the holiest and most blessed night, which is very likely to occur in one of the odd nights in the last ten days of Ramadhan and most likely to be on the 27th. But as we have been told to seek that night and not fix it on the 27th, therefore we should engage in worship in all the odd nights to achieve Shab-e-Qadr. The reward of worship in this night is better than worship of one thousand months, equivalent to a person’s lifetime. Therefore on this night one should devote his time and energy to honour and respect this night by sacrificing his sleep and reciting the following: Nafl Salaah, Qur’an Sharif, Tasbih, Zikr, Wazaif, Du‘as, 1st and 3rd Kalimas, Surah Qadr, Surah Ikhlas, Surah Fatiha and Durud sharif as much as possible. Along with:
- Astaghfirullah Allazi La Illaha illa Huwal Hayyul Qayyum wa Atubo Illayh
- Allahuma Innaka Afuwun Tuhib’bul Afwa Fa’a Fu ani Ya Gafoor
- Allahuma Inni As’aluka Afwa wal Aafi’yaata wal mu’afata fid’Deene wa’Dunya wal Akhirah
- Ash’Hadu A’lla illaha illalahu Astagfirul’laha As’alukal Jannata wa A’oothobeka Min’nan Naar
Please note that if you have Qadha Salaah upon yourself, then you should devote more time to complete them and not engage much in Nafl Salaah, as it is stated that Allah Almighty does not accept any Nafl, when Fardh is pending. Complete details on Qadha Salaah is in the last chapter of this book.
Some of the Virtues of this Blessed Night
On this night Hazrat Jibraeel ‘AlaihiSSalaam descends down to earth with other Angels and greets the Muslims who are engaged in worship and they make Du’a-e-Maghfirah for the worshippers.
- On the 27th night have bath with the intention of reciting Salaah (worshipping Allah), inshaAllah Allah Almighty will forgive the sins well before the feet are wet.
- Whoever does worship in this night even for a short time (equivalent to the time it takes to milk a goat) then that worship is regarded greater than a person who Fasts continuously. To recite one ayah of the Holy Qur’an in this night is regarded greater than reciting the whole Qur’an in other nights.
- Whoever recites the first Kalima three times in this night then for the first recitation Allah will forgive his sins, for the second recitation.
- Allah will free him from the fire of Hell and for the third recitation he will be granted a place in Heaven… InshaAllah.
- Hazrat ‘Ali RadiAllahu ‘anhu narrated that anyone who recites Surah Qadr 7 times in this night after ‘Isha Salaah, then Allah will save him from all the tragedies and calamities and 17,000 Angels will make supplications for him to be granted Heaven.
Some Blessed Salaah to be recited in this night
- 4 rak‘ats- one Salaam: In every rak’at recite Surah Fatiha once, Surah Takathur (Al’ha kumut takathur) once and Surah Ikhlas (Qulhu wallah) 3times. This will lessen the pains and agonies of death and will protect you from the torments of the grave. – Insha’Allah
- 2 rak‘ats – one Salaam In every rak’at recite Surah Fatiha once, Surah Qadr 7 times and Surah Ikhlas 7 times…. After finishing the two rak‘ats recite: Astaghfirullah Allazi La Illaha Illa Huwal Hayyul Qayyum wa Atubo Illayh 70 times and Durud sharif in abundance. Before you get off the prayer mat Allah will have forgiven your and your parent’s sins and Allah will command the Angels to prepare good neh’mah for you in Heaven and you will not die until you see these ne’mah yourself.
- 4 rak‘ats – one Salaam In every rak’at recite Surah Fatiha once, Surah Qadr once and Surah Ikhlas 27 times.
- 4 rak‘ats – one Salaam In every rak’at recite Surah Fatiha once, Surah Qadr 3 times and Surah Ikhlas 50 times. After completing the salaah go into sijda and recite Durud sharif in abundance and then make permissible du’as/supplications and Insha’Allah, Allah Almighty will grant them.
- 2 rak‘ats- one Salaam In every rak’at recite Surah Fatiha once and Surah Ikhlas 7 times. After completing the Salaah recite Durud sharif 100 times and Astagfar 100 times.
- 20 rak‘ats – sets of two (10 Salaams) In every rak‘at recite Surah Fatiha once, Ayah’tul Kursi 3 times and Surah Ikhlas 25 times. After completing the 20 rak‘ats recite the 3rd Kalima 100 and Durud Sharif 100 times. By doing this Allah will reward you equivalent to performing one Hajj Insha Allah!
In the Night of Qadr just Before Sunrise recite:
- 4 ra‘kats – one Salaam In every rak’at recite Surah Fatiha once, Surah Qadr 7 times and Surah Ikhlas 5 times.
- After completing the Salaah go into prostration (Sajda) and recite: “SubhanAllahe wal Hamdu Lillahi Wa’la Ilaha Illal’lahu Wallahu Akbar” (3rd Kalima) 41 times (or just “Subhan’allah” 41 times if your limited to time).
- Then make your du‘as (don’t forget the whole Muslim Ummah) and InshaAllah, Allah will grant all your permissible du‘as.
- Hadith: “A servant is nearer to his Lord when he is in prostration, so increase supplications (du’as) in prostration.”
- Hadith: Beloved Messenger Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam used to say in prostration:” O’ Allah! Forgive all my sins, small and great; first and last; in open and in secret” and also “O’ Allah! Our Lord! You are Holy. We praise you. Forgive my sins.”